What is 401k's??

Reply to topic
Money Talk > Retirement Planning

Author Thread
Swapnil

Location: India
What is 401k's??  Reply with quote

So, as the title says, I just wanted to know what exactly are 401ks and what are the benefits of investing in them. Hope I will get sincere answers about the purpose and benefits of 401ks
Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:39 am

Well, it's a tax-deferred retirement plan under U.S. tax law; why do you want to know?

~Tim~
Post Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:59 am
Swapnil

Location: India

Originally posted by coaster
Well, it's a tax-deferred retirement plan under U.S. tax law; why do you want to know?

Well, Coaster I wanted to know its benefits and if any such tax deferred plans are there in India as well. I am pleased with its introduction you gave to me.
Post Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:17 am

The primary benefit is in making the contribution non-taxable; this is dependent entirely on sovereign tax law, and I think you'd be more qualified to address the tax laws in India with persons knowledgeable about those laws. If you're that person, have at it; otherwise it seemed to be a rather odd question for an Indian national to be asking on a US board.

~Tim~
Post Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:05 am
Anton Martin

Location: Florida, USA

Originally posted by VanReb
I'm not sure but this might be similar to PF/PPF in India.

You are right, it is like PF in India, like employee contribute some amount to PF and employeer contribute same amount to PF account and government pay interest on total saving with pre-decided interest rate annually.
Post Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:14 am