Advice... 50 K credit card debt, making 85K per year

Reply to topic
Money Talk > Retirement Planning

Author Thread
helpneeded2012us

Advice... 50 K credit card debt, making 85K per year  Reply with quote

Hi all,
I would like to get your opinion on how can I proceeded and plan my financial future with my current situation:
1. I have accumulated about 50 K debt in credit cards over the years. At about 20 % interest.
2. I recently got a new job. I’m self employed and I make about $1634.64 every week, which it adds up (52 weeks) to 85 K per year.
3. No TAX is taken out of this so I have to do my taxes at the end of the year….

What should I do ?
1. Pay off all my credit cards?
2. Put money in savings and pay credit cards
3. Put money in SEP IRA? (21,250 maximum allowed 85,000 x 0.25 )
4. Put half of the money in SEP IRA (21,250 / 2 = 10,625.00) and use the other half to pay credit card debt.

5. Put money in 401 K and pay credit cards

I also got a job delivering pizzas and I make about 500 every month.
I'm 33..
Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:19 am
oldguy

Location: arizona

First I'd start a tax fund, your payroll tax will be about $13,000 and your income tax will be around $15,000. And depending on what state you live in, they may want some too - so set aside about $30,000 in a savings account.

With the other $55k, I would first check to see if the 401k has a 'match'. if so invest enough to get the 'match'. That is free money, you get an immediated 100% return on what you invest. So that beats the 20% that you are paying to borrow the money.

And then put everything else on the credit cards, 20% is brutal, the interest alone is costing $10,000/year.

But a couple years with your $90,000 income will clear out the CC debt plus give you a few 1000 in a 401k. Good luck.
Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:29 pm
littleroc02us
Moderator

Without knowing your budget exactly to the tee, why not figure out a way to live on half of your income which would be around $2600 a month and apply the other $2600 to your credit card debt. 20% is ridiculous. My other concern is that your walking a tight rope and if your job situation ever changes your financial well being could be in jeapordy with so much debt. Stop contributing to your 401k and any other investments. Your only 33 and it will only take you around 20 months to pay off the debt so you'd only be 35. At that point once the debt is clear then lets say you invest $1000 a month and really work to put some money away which if you did this for 30 years you'd have 2.1 million at age 65 and half of that would be tax free.

Risk comes from not knowing what you're doing. (Warren Buffet)
Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:01 pm

Re: Advice... 50 K credit card debt, making 85K per year  Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by helpneeded2012us
No TAX is taken out of this so I have to do my taxes at the end of the year….

Your most immediate problem needs to be addressed like RIGHT NOW ... before June 17. Tax is paid as income is earned; it's not paid in arrears. Therefore you are required to pay estimated taxes on your income on a quarterly basis, on the 15th of January, April, June and September (when the 15th is on a weekday). If you wait until April 15, 2014 to pay income taxes on the rest of your 2013 income you'll find yourself paying a HUGE underpayment penalty.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Estimated-Taxes

~Tim~
Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:15 pm
Anton Martin

Location: Florida, USA
Save More  Reply with quote

I would like to recommend you to put money in 401(k) and pay for your credit card first, as credit card interest is 20% it means that you are loosing lot of your hard earned money (Pay it on priority). As you are self employed get right information on 401(k) to contribute in it.
Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:47 am