What to do with my previous jobs' 401ks? (I'm in my 20s)

Reply to topic
Money Talk > Retirement Planning

Author Thread
franmendizabal@hotmail.co

What to do with my previous jobs' 401ks? (I'm in my 20s)  Reply with quote

I'm 26 and became self-employed. I have been wondering what to do with my previous 401ks. Any help is appreciated.

Currently I have:
-$3.5k in a 401k (Ubiquity) from the company I just stopped working.
-$1k in a rollover IRA (Fidelity) from a previous job.

My plan is to not touch them until I retire, and possibly allocate 33% US stock index, 33% int stock index, and 33% US bond index.

What would be my best move to do this? Thank you!
Post Thu May 10, 2018 4:58 pm
oldguy

Location: arizona

I would put the entire $4.5k into your Fidelity account and invest it 100% in Fidelity's SP500 Index Fund.
As for the 33% in various sectors - at your age I would avoid that. Your have roughly 30 more years for wealth-building - followed by many years of wealth-preservation. When you get into your wealth-preservation years you need bonds and low risk items. But now you need to use moderate risk items to outpace inflation - definitely not bonds, they barely offset inflation.
Post Thu May 10, 2018 5:42 pm
rosabella

I was looking at some of your posts on this website and I conceive this web site is really instructive! Keep putting up run 3
Post Tue May 15, 2018 2:35 am