Home     Forum     401k     401k Rollovers
    Register   Login   Members   Search   FAQs     Recent Posts    

How should a minor go about with taxes?

Reply to topic
Money Talk > Taxes

Author Thread
Krystal Kacey

Cash: $ 3.40

Posts: 15
Joined: 16 Sep 2009

How should a minor go about with taxes?  Reply with quote  

You will file a form 1040 along with a schedule C (or probably C-EZ) and a schedule SE. You'll show your income and any associated allowable expenses on the schedule C, then use the number from the bottom of that schedule on your schedule SE to calculate self-employment tax, then take the numbers from the bottom of both of the schedules onto your form 1040 to calculate your total tax.

I hope you didn't spend all of the money. You'll owe around $900 in federal taxes all together - most of that is for self-employment tax.

Depending on where you live, you might also have to file a state and/or local tax return, and pay something there.

If you just ignore it and don't file, eventually you'll get a letter from the IRS and from your state telling you how much you owe - by that time there will be interest and penalties, and you could owe a lot more than if you just take care of it now.
Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:57 am
 View user's profile Send private message
Senior Advisor

Cash: $ 1626.30

Posts: 7990
Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
 Reply with quote  

I'm sorry, but is this post a response to another thread? It makes no sense as a stand alone thread.

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:35 pm
 View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic
Forum Jump:
Jump to:  
  Display posts from previous:      

Money Talk © 2003-2018